Monday, September 13, 2010

Lub Dub . . . Lub Dub . . .

Guess what was on the agenda today!? Vital Signs! We learned the techniques needed to take a patients blood pressure, pulse, and respiration rate.
Emily was my first patient, then the girls in my pod switched and Ashley was my second patient. Vital signs are tricky to get the hang of. I'm doing really well with pulse and respiration. Its the blood pressure that gets me. I've never used a blood pressure cuff or a stethoscope. I started getting the hand of it after a couple tries, but poor Emily's arm was going numb!
I know the feeling . . .when I was her patient I couldn't feel my fingers. Apparently blood pressure is not meant to be taken multiple times a day. It was good practice though. I'm going to take my equipment home to practice a little more. My family will be the lucky patients!

No comments:

Post a Comment